Corporation of the City of Panaji

The Corporation of the City of Panaji is the oldest civic institution in Asia. It received the status of a Portuguese city in 1843. It is also the world’s smallest municipal corporation, catering to the civic needs of Goa’s capital city of Panjim.
What is it that distinguishes Panaji from any other city in India? It is the only city in the country that has stepped streets. It is the only city in India with a seven kilometre long promenade. It is the first city in India to be built on a planned grid system and the only city to be so user friendly. It is also the only city in India to have been relocated stone by stone from a capital that fell to disease and ruin. Architectural styles range from Goan Domestic, to Indian Art deco, to Indo-European, to Indian Baroque and to British Colonial styles. These are only some of the things that make the city unique.







Margao Municipal Council

The Municipality during the erstwhile Portuguese regime was known as "Camara Municipal de Salcete" catering to all the villages in Salcete Taluka until the Goa Municipalities Act, 1968, came into force. The "Camara Municipal de Salcete" is now reconstituted into Margao Municipal Council. The Members of the "Camara Municipal de Salcete" were then nominated by the Government, but after the reconstitution of the Municipal Council, the Members to all the 20 wards (10 in Margao & 10 in Fatorda) are elected by the Members of the council.

There is no informative material available as a compilation to make the public aware and understand the procedure laid down to get their work done easily. Therefore the main purpose of this compendium is to bring at one place, the basic information about the procedures involved in obtaining various NOC's licences and permissions, hiring of Municipal properties viz Night Soil Tankers, Hearse Van, Municipal hall, Lohia Maidan etc.







Ponda Municipal Council

The CÂMARA MUNICIPAL DE PONDA. It was built between 1885 and 1896 and was probably the headquarters of "Administração das Matas". Ponda, known as Antruz Mahal because of the concentration of culture, music, drama and poetry also houses the temples of Lord Mangesh (Shiva), Lord Nagesh, Lord Ganapati, Lord Ramnath and the Goddesses Mhalasa and Shantdurga. The city of Ponda lies about 28kms south-east of Panaji and 17kms north-east of Margao and is also the capital of Ponda Taluka. The town was born after the Portuguese took over the area in 1791 from the Raja of Sonda. It began as an administrative centre with the establishment of administrative offices and court and soon became a commercial centre. Most of the area known as Ponda today was a part of "Quela" village. It lies strategically along the main Panaji-Margao highway and is also connected to the neighbouring state of Karnataka via the Ponda-Belgaum highway or the NH-4.





Bicholim Municipal Council

Bicholim also known as Dicholi, is a city and a municipal council in North Goa district in the state of Goa, India.

It is a town in the territory of Goa, and the headquarters of the concelho (district) of the same name; the Concelho of Bicholim, located in the north-east quarter is one of the seven that make up the Novas Conquistas or New Conquests, territories added to Goa comparatively latter than the first three of the Velhas Conquistas.

The town is located about 30 kilometres from the capital Panjim. It is in the mining heartland of Goa.







Mormugao Municipal Council

After the formation of Mormugao Taluka bifurcating the Salcete Taluka, the then Portuguese authorities carved out a township of the newly formed Taluka from the adjacent villages of Chicolda, Vadem and Mormugao,etc.

Vasco da Gama is situated on the left bank of the river Zuari in 15*23'45" North Latitude and 73*48'45" East Longitude. After the formation of Mormugao Taluka bifurcating the Salcete Taluka, the then Portuguese authorities carved out a township of the newly formed Taluka from the adjacent villages of Chicolda, Vadem and Mormugao, etc. due to the development of Harbour and laying out of Railway line, and named it Vasco de Gama by the Decree of 1917.

The railway station and its environs constitute the town center. The town is a passenger traffic terminal while the Mormugao railway station beyond, almost entirely handles goods.The Dabolim Airport is open for civilians' use and that has attracted some building activity along the plateau aslope at the top of the Vasco da Gama-Cortalim road.Vasco da Gama is the residential and commercial appendage of the Mormugao Port, which is known as one of the best harbour's on the West Coast of India and is the principal focus of economic activity in Goa.The main public departments, the Parish church and the Railway Station are located in this zone, which is densely populated. It has several avenues bordered with fine trees. In the southern zone or Baina connected with the former by a fine tar road, there is a beautiful beach with a marginal promenade.




Mapusa Municipal Council

Mapusa is a small town clustered around the Mount (Alto). Mapusa pronounced as Mapsa by the locals is Goa's third largest town and the capital of the northern Bardez taluka. It is mainly a market town for the surrounding beach areas of Calangute, Candolim, Anjuna and Baga among others. Even its name is thought to be derived from the Konkani word for a ‘measure’ – ‘map’ and the phrase fill up – ‘sa’.

Otherwise a small town forming the hub of north Goa, its location makes it the converging point of all overland routes in Bardez taluka. Mapusa has an even blend of residential, commercial establishments and gardens. The beaches nearest to this town are the Anjuna and Chapora beaches.



Cuncolim Municipal Council

The Cuncolim Municipal Council was earlier the Panchayat of Cuncolim. Vide notification No. 2-52/83-LAWD(Cuncolim)-17 dated 22/05/1987 the same was constituted as the new Municipal Council. All the Municipalities in Goa became constitutional bodies after the 74th Amendment in the Constitution of India. Article 243 has thus been suitably modified to accommodate the provision of the said amendment. These institution are dealing with day to day work of the citizens. From the birth till death a citizen requires assistance of this institution.

Cuncolim Municipal Council deals with the following works such as issue of construction licence, reconstruction licenses/renovation licenses, issue of occupancy certificate, house tax, issue of NOC for electricity/water/ sewerage connection, issue of income certificate, residence certificate, issue of trade liecence, permission for advertisement, registration of birth and death, Day to day garbage collection, attending public grievance concerning municipality.






Pernem Municipal Council

The Pernem Municipal Council is an autonomous body set up under the state enactment of Goa Municipalities Act, 1968. The Council performs its functions and duties under the Act and Rules & Bye-laws made thereunder.



Quepem Municipal Council

Quepem is a town with a municipal council in South Goa district in the Indian state of Goa. The town is the administrative capital for the Quepemtaluka. The town was established by a Portuguese noble man Deão Jose Paulo, the dean (Deão) of the church in 1787 after he moved there just 5 years after the conquest of Qupemtaluka by the Portuguese. He built his famous Palácio do Deão, followed by a public market, hospital, Church and other facilities for the benefit of the inhabitants through his own expense. He was later awarded the unofficial title of Barão de Quepem by the then viceroy D. Manuel Francisco Zacarias de Portugal e Castro. Curchorem and Sanvordem are the major towns located near the Quepem town.

The city is known for the annual Ganeshotsav Festival, Carnival, Shigmostav celebrated with pomp and gaiety. The center of such celebrations is the Municipal Garden, at the center of the town. The village feast of Holy Cross is also celebrated with great zeal on September 14.

The main tourist attraction in the area are the Holy Cross Church, the Old Dam(Band) and the Palácio Do Deão. Quepem is also known for its scenic beauty.





Curchorem Municipal Council

Curchorem-Cacora is a Municipal Council in the district of South Goa. The Curchorem-Cacora city is divided into 12 wards for which elections are held every 5 years. The Curchorem-Cacora Municipal Council has population of 22,730 of which 11,601 are males while 11,129 are females as per report released by Census India 2011.

Curchorem-Cacora Municipal Council has total administration over 5,667 houses to which it supplies basic amenities like water and sewerage. It is also authorize to build roads within Municipal Council limits and impose taxes on properties coming under its jurisdiction.




Valpoi Municipal Council

Valpoi is a city and a municipal council in North Goa district in the Indian state of Goa. It is the headquarters of the Sattari Taluk. The Western Ghats are to the east of the town.

Valpoi is small and beautiful town. The Climate during winter is very cool. Lot of trees around make the look of the city beautiful. It is good tourist place for those who wants to enjoy the beauty of nature. It has Masjids, a Church and temples situated in the heart of the town. Konkani and marathi are widely spoken here.




Canacona Municipal Council

" The Municipality during the erstwhile Portuguese regime known as " Camara Municipal de Canacona catering to all the villages in Canacona Taluka until the Goa Municipalities Act, 1968, came into force. The "The Camara Municipal de Canacona" is now reconstituted into Canacona Municipal Council. The members of the "Camara Municipal de Canacona" were then nominated by the Government, but after the reconstitution of the Municipal Council, the members to all the 10 wards were elected by the eligible voters in respective wards and both the (Chairperson) and (Vice Chairperson), are elected by the Members of the Council."